CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Book Whisperer Chapter 1

I have always had a passion for reading. My most memorable reading moments happened when I was in the 6th grade and my teacher, Miss Johnson, encouraged me to read as many book as possible. She exposed me to fantastic work of Chris Van Allsburg and showed me that reading could help you understand important issues such as equality, poverty, etc. I remember that at the end of the year in 6th grade I was one of the only kids in the entire grade that won a reading trophy for the amount of books I read. I see that my students and even my own stepson do not have this passion for reading. They do not understand that the pages of books contain stories that are far more entertaining and informative than anything they could ever see on television.

I've never really considered myself a reader as part of my identity, but Miller's book helped me see that that is exactly what I am. Any free time that I have, especially on breaks from school, I dive into reading and devour as many books as I possibly can.

Like most of my fellow bloggers the part that really spoke to me in chapter 1 was the quote:
 
"Reading changes your life. Reading unlocks worlds unknown, or forgotten, taking travelers around the world and through time. Reading helps you escape the confines of school and pursue your own education. Through characters- the saints and sinners, real or imagined- reading shows you how to be a better human being"
~Donalyn Miller, The Book Whisperer (p. 18)

I have already finished the book a few weeks ago and can't wait to read everyone's thoughts and see how this text will influence our classrooms.

4 comments:

Mrs. Shannon

Mindy-

How and where are we supposed to be discussing this book? I'm sort of confused! :)

Tara

I have not read the book before but totally love it and love reading everyone's thoughts and insights:) Thanks for sharing. Love your blog!

4th Grade Frolics

Beth

Great post! Glad you are joining us for the read along.
Beth
Thinking of Teaching

Mrs. Wells

Hi Shannon,

You can link up for the Book Whisperer Read Aloud at Beth's Thinking of Teaching blog.

http://thinkingofteaching.blogspot.com/

Mindy

Post a Comment